Each team of songwriters will be given a starting “seed” track, which they will take turns adding layers of music to, relay-style. Each member of your team will have one week to record a part. You can decide how much or how little you want to add to the song when it’s your turn to record.
Things to Note
- Your exported track must be exactly 3:00 in length (the length of the seed track), even if there’s a bunch of silence in it. This will just make it easier to synchronize everything at the end.
- When you get your team’s Frankensong mix from the person ahead of you, don’t adjust anything in their mix when you’re recording your track. There will be an opportunity to mix your team’s song during the final week before the listening party.
- During the mixing phase, no new recordings may be added. This is your team’s opportunity to adjust levels and add any effects to your recordings. At this time, you may also adjust the volume of the seed track.
- Any music or lyrics you add must be original. We don’t want to get into any copyright problems down the line.
- If I don’t receive your track by 10:00pm CST on the Sunday it’s due, we will have to skip you out of respect for the next person in line.
Submitting Your Recording
When it’s your time to submit your recording, send me (firstname.lastname@example.org) two WAV files:
- Your team’s new Frankensong mix with your recording added in.
- Your recording by itself, for when your team creates the final mix.
The teams were chosen by the captains. The order these participants will record in was picked at random.
Team 1 (Captain = Denise Hudson)
- Bryce Jensen - Recording due Jan. 16th
- Graham Porter - Recording due Jan. 23rd
- Bram Tant - Recording due Jan. 30th
- Joe Covenant - Recording due Feb. 6th
- Denise Hudson - Recording due Feb. 13th
Team 2 (Captain = Reese Mankenberg)
- Ryan Ruff Smith - Recording due Jan. 16th
- Matt Schubbe - Recording due Jan. 23rd
- Robert Carmichael - Recording due Jan. 30th
- Stripes on Stripes - Recording due Feb. 6th
- Reese Mankenberg - Recording due Feb. 13th
Team 3 (Captain = The Boffo Yux Dudes)
- Chris Cogott - Recording due Jan. 16th
- Gorbzilla - Recording due Jan. 23rd (switched with Kevin Savino-Riker)
- Kevin Savino-Riker - Recording due Jan. 30th
- Jason P. Schumacher - Recording due Feb. 6th
- The Boffo Yux Dudes - Recording due Feb. 13th
Team 4 (Captain = Edric Haleen)
- Edric Haleen - Recording due Jan. 16th
- JoAnn Abbott - Recording due Jan. 23rd
- The Offhand Band - Recording due Jan. 30th
- Gweebol - Recording due Feb. 6th
Team 5 (Captain = Brett Thompson)
- Brett Thompson - Recording due Jan. 16th
- Matt Mahler - Recording due Jan. 23rd
- Nick Syman - Recording due Jan. 30th
- Andy Price - Recording due Feb. 6th
January 6th, Thursday - Frankensong Kickoff. I will send out:
- The teams
- The recording order
- The starting “seed” track
January 16th, Sunday, 10:00pm CST - Round 1 Recordings Due - Bryce Jensen, Ryan Ruff Smith, Chris Cogott, Edric Haleen, and Brett Thompson. The first person on your team must send me (email@example.com) their recording by 10pm CENTRAL TIME or they will be disqualified and skipped out of respect for the next person on the team. NOTE: You may send me your recording anytime before it’s due, in order to give the next person in line more time to record.
January 23rd, Sunday, 10:00pm CST - Round 2 Recordings Due - Graham Porter, Matt Schubbe, Kevin Savino-Riker, JoAnn Abbott, and Matt Mahler
January 30th, Sunday, 10:00pm CST - Round 3 Recordings Due - Bram Tant, Robert Carmichael, Gorbzilla, The Offhand Band, and Nick Syman
February 6th, Sunday, 10:00pm CST - Round 4 Recordings Due - Joe Covenant, Stripes on Stripes, Jason P. Schumacher, Gweebol, and Andy Price
February 13th, Sunday, 10:00pm CST - Round 5 Recordings Due - Denise Hudson, Reese Mankenberg, and The Boffo Yux Dudes
February 20th, Sunday, 10:00pm CST - Final Team Mixes Due. After everyone on your team has finished recording, anyone on the team may work on the final mix. If there’s no team consensus on which mix to use, it will be up to the captain to decide.
February 22nd, Tuesday, 8:00pm CST - Listening Party! We’ll gather at http://ustream.tv/channel/frankensong to celebrate and listen to the fruits of our labor!
The Frankensong Challenge is meant to be more collaborative than competitive, but I would like to present a few (purely titular) awards to the songwriters who put forth exceptional effort.
Transplanted Brain Award - For a clever songwriter who adds the most creative individual track
Beating Heart Award - For a stunning musician with the most moving performance
Igor Award - For the unsung hero who adds an essential but non-glamorous track
Dr. Frankenstein Award - For a talented team with the best overall song (i.e. Charlie’s favorite)